This is my statement for AECT Board Member at Large
* Describe your involvement with AECT, past & present, including roles in divisions and leadership responsibilities
I have been involved with AECT since 1995. My first convention was Anaheim. I have worked as an electronic communications officer for the Research and Theory Division and Division of Instructional Development. I also served an extended period as the Teacher Education Division's Electronic Communications Officer. I worked with many division and organizational leaders to aid in the communication goals of divisions and the group
* Describe your education, career, and other experiences including leadership in professional organizations
I am currently an Instructional Systems Specialist for the Veterans Administration. As such, I coordinate online and face to face instructional programs for the VA on a national level. These courses deal with hospital safety and hazard recognition issues. Previously, I have served as a distance education coordinator for the Tri District Educational Cooperative (Little Rock, North Little Rock, And Pulaski County) in Central Arkansas. For six years prior to that position, I was an instructional technology professor at Arkansas Tech University.
University of Kentucky, ABD in Instructional Systems Design, Department of Curriculum and
Purdue University, Master of Arts in Mass Communications, Department of Communication,
School of Liberal Arts, July, 1992
University of Central Arkansas, Bachelor of Sciences, Conway, Arkansas, 1983.
* In 500 words or less, describe your vision/goals for AECT
Help AECT understand how to exist in a world of digital natives where it is not web 1.0 but web 2.0.
* What do you see as the role of the Board-at Large board member of AECT?
The role of the Board-at-Large member for AECT is to attempt to as best as possible represent ALL members of the association. The BAL member is to work to improve the organization.
* What do you believe the agenda should be for moving AECT forward in the next 3-5 years?
AECT should concentrate on:
- Demonstrating Leadership in the field of educational technology
- Demonstrating Ethical Practice in the field of ed. tech.
The implementation of the Electronic Services Committee is a good start. I will work to see these trends continue.
* How do you plan for fiscal responsibility on the part of the AECT Board of Directors?
It comes down to not spending more than you take in. Hard some times, but real.
* Identify your decision making process and how you implement it.
* How will you develop or promote leadership within the AECT organizational structure?
Leadership is "the lifting of people’s vision to a higher sight, the raising of their performance to a higher standard, the building of their personality beyond its normal limitations’ (Drucker, 1985).
It is a one-on-one job to develop leadership. It happens in hallways, around coffee, and on the phone.
* Why do you think you would make a good candidate?
To whom much is given, much is expected. I have recieved a lot from AECT. Time to give back.
* Are you aware of the time commitment?
:-) Time? This has a time commitment? Yes.